POS is pleased to support the creation of the new Planning Advisory Service.
These are exciting times for planning. The Government has placed it at the heart of the sustainable communities programme, and the Planning Advisory Service has been created to help develop services that are responsive, proactive and cutting edge – services that translate community vision into reality.
This is a fantastic opportunity to put planning at the heart of the corporate agenda, to develop links with other local authority services such as housing, highways and environmental health, and to improve the lives of local people, and the places where they live and work.
The Planning Advisory Service consists of two main elements that will work in tandem with each other:
- PAS is hosted by the Improvement and Development Agency. Created by and for local government, the IDeA is committed to strengthening the ability of local authorities to build sustainable communities.
- ATLAS (the advisory team for large applications) is delivered by English Partnerships, the national regeneration agency helping the Government to support high quality sustainable growth.
- to support all local planning authorities in continuous improvement with adoption of good practice in both plan-making and development control.
- to provide tailored services to assist under-performing authorities in the development and implementation of improvement plans.
- to promote a culture of change, learning and improvement among local planning authorities
- to offer direct support to individual authorities to deliver key Government objectives such as large scale housing development s and regeneration projects.
- share good practice and promote learning through guidance documents and an online resource (website to be included)
- promote collaborative local working through regional learning events, councillor and officer champions, and learning clubs.
- develop a peer review model to benchmark performance and identify priorities for improvement
- provide councillor and officer training on delivering excellent planning services and raising the corporate profile of planning
- work with the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister to maximise staff involvement in service improvement, managing performance, working with stakeholders and providers, and negotiating community outcomes.
- help unblock the issues holding up major applications
- increase the knowledge and expertise of local authorities in handling major applications, and share good practice across the sector
- act as a partner to local authorities and independent reviewer of major applications and issues.
For more information use this link: http://www.idea.gov.uk/pas