Breaking News ...
... London's mayor Sadiq Khan has "begun recruiting" new experts to scrutinise viability assessments.
"The experts, who will be drawn from finance surveyors and property consultant experts and be based at City Hall, will support housing delivery by making planning decisions faster and more consistent, and by ensuring new developments include the maximum amount of affordable housing," the statement said >> read more
- President's Piece - Anna Rose's blog was sent out separately on 23rd August, albeit incorrectly referred to as the July blog >> you can read it here on the website.
- A very warm welcome to the 74 new members joining the Society this month: Michael Jessop, Anastasia Bernard & Michael Fishpool (Ebbsfleet Dev Corporation); Robert Lancaster & Neil Goate (LB Redbridge); Ruth Ormella (Portsmouth City Council); Luke Waterston (Eden DC); Sharon Baker (Rutland County Council); Adrian Harding (LB Brent); Sunil Sahadevan (LB Harrow); Noel Thackaberry (Bracknell Forest Council); Stuart Wiltshire (Ashfield DC); Kelly Ford (Nuneaton & Bedworth BC); Sarah Parker, Gill Richardson, Lauren Hemsley, Rosemary Bullivant, Jenny Suttle & Duncan Fitt (Thanet DC); Tim Parrett & Simon Cole (Ashford BC); Sarah Clifton (South Staffordshire Council); Dean Scrivener, Will Tysterman, Clare Howe, Rebecca Whitney, Lewis Tomlinson, Danielle O'Neill, Samantha Johnston, Clare Adams, Alison Twyford & Bonnie Kwok (South Cambridgeshire DC); Nigel Smith & Laura Allen (North Hertfordshire DC); Paul Hopkins & Mary Green (Kent CC); Christine Lyons, Marsha Kange, Kelsey Bergin, Karen Humphries, Sarah Dilley, William Clarke & Tai Tsui (Hertsmere BC); Sue Walters-Thompson, Peter Jones, Caroline Skelly & Kevin Ayrton (Hambleton DC); Rosalind Hair, Michael Burton & Richard Palmer (East Northamptonshire DC); Rebecca Saunt, Julie Barrow, Barbara Greengrass, Gareth Pritchard, Catherine Looper, Oli Haydon, Richard Fitzjohn, Ruth Gunton, & Lesley Westcott (East Cambridgeshire DC); Chloe Nielsen, Alex Gandy & Helen Herriott (Dartmoor NPA); Justin Kliger, Dimitra Angelopoulou & James Flooks (Crawley BC); Adrien Waite, Aine Geraghty, Carmel Huntley, Shay Kelleher & Simon Went (Watford BC); Christine Gore, Chris Hargraves & Phil Shaw (West Oxfordshire DC); and Duncan Berntsen (Medway Council).
- In the News
Spatial Planning Latest
- PAS has updated its earlier Duty to Cooperate template which should help when preparing your Duty statement prior to examination on a plan >> read more
- PAS has also updated its material aimed at getting an up to date local plan in place >>read more
Development Management Latest
- The Treasury has issued a consultation document on the proposed Shale Wealth Fundaimed at sharing the benefits of shale developments by communities and regions in which the resource is developed >> read more
- PINS has issued new model notification letters for enforcement appeals, listed building enforcement appeals and certificate of lawful use appeals >> read more
- The majority of planners in England think constant changes to the planning system have hindered their ability to deliver good places, an RTPI survey reveals >> read more
- Flood Resilient Repair Demonstration awareness events are being hosted by BRE on the 13th, 14th and 28th September 2016 at the BRE site in Garston, Watford >> read more and register
- Greg Clark has approved plans to construct Hornsea Project Two, the world's largest offshore wind farm >> read more
- The Gardens Trust has issued guidance for LPAs to explain the place of historic parks and gardens in the planning system, and authorities' statutory consultation obligations in relation to them >> read more
- The ONS has released further analysis of recent sub-national population projections, including on how the population of England is expected to age >> read more
- A new report shows an increasing gap in the supply of retirement housing with an estimated shortage of 376,000 housing units by 2050 >> read more
- If you're expecting self-buld projects in your area to increase you might care to direct interested persons to the UK's only permanent Self Build & Renovation Centre in Swindon >> read more
- The Woodland Trust has a quick planning survey with a chance to win a £100 voucher, deadline 9th Sept >> the survey
And Finally ...
... now that the Rio Olympic Games are over you might care to dwell on the fact that town planning formed part of the modern Olympic Games during its early years, from 1912 to 1948. The last gold medal was won at the London 1948 Games by the architect Yrjö Lindegren for Finland for The Centre of Athletics in Varkaus. The last British gold medalist was architect John Hughes for his Design for a Sports and Recreation Center with Stadium, for the City of Liverpool at the Los Angeles Games in 1932 >> read more